The Agency of Innovation and Development of Andalusia IDEA, which is attached to the Andalusian Ministry of Employment, Enterprise and Commerce, together with DG Internal Market, Entrepreneurship and SMEs (DG GROW) of the European Commission are organising in Seville, next 27th and 28th October 2015, the International Conference on Dual Use Technologies within the framework of RIS3 Strategies in Europe.
The Conference is meant to become a meeting point during two days for regional, national and European Community authorities related to innovation, companies' competitiveness, defence, OEMs, SMEs and knowledge management agents for sharing common challenges, developing business opportunities and bring about lines for actions.
In this context Dual Use refers to products, services and technologies that can address the needs of both, civil and defence communities. These are usually being developed in one of the sector (civil or defence) and are then also used by the other sector (civil or defence), thus boosting its commercial and entrepreneurial values.
Technology areas like: electronics, nanotechnologies, radars, sensors, new materials, telecommunications and information, are amongst those that have dual applications.
European companies can reach out to new business opportunities leveraging on the different support lines from the Administrations (regional, national and European levels) to diversify products and markets and deploying projects that will contribute to the benefit of both, civil and defence industries.
The event will have two parts:
During the first part of the conference the innovation policy makers of several European territories will elaborate about their approach to integrate Dual Use technologies and services into their smart specialization strategies ; some of the greatest European Corporations will show, together with some SMEs, their collaborative experiences in the global value chain framework; The role of the Institutions and their best practices will also be shown, along with the opportunities brought by the European activities and Programmes, to entrepreneurial cooperation, technological innovations and internationalization, both for civil and defence.
One of the key spaces foreseen in the Conference is that of the Focus Groups or groups for thematic debate, devised to get companies, authorities and knowledge agents together, in order to propose working recommendations for public or private lines of action.
Three focus groups will be held in parallel: "The role of Dual Technologies in the regional innovation strategies" led by the European Commission RIS3 Platform. "SMEs integration within the global supply chain" led by companies' representatives, and "Cyber security and critical infrastructures protection" led by the National Cryptography Center that will analyze this field as an instance of Dual Technology.
The brokerage event
In cooperation with the Enterprise Europe Network bilateral meetings will be organised and scheduled. These B2B meetings, in which companies from all European regions, and specially from Andalusia, will participate, aim at fostering international business cooperation.
Aims of the event
- To showcase the regional growth and jobs potential of dual use approach and to demonstrate how a dual use approach is already being implemented by the European regions within the framework of their RIS3 (research and Innovation Strategies for Smart Specialization) to enhance the competitiveness of their industrial fabric, mainly for SMEs, and to exchange regional experiences on how private-sector companies and public administrations are developing new dual use strategies.
- To demonstrate the support given by the European Commission, the European Defence Agency, National and Regional authorities by presenting the various tools and funding instruments at EU level to develop dual use projects at the disposal of the business sector and to promote synergies with wider EU policies.
- To promote greater innovation across the defence industry in Europe, with special focus on Small and Medium sized Enterprises (SMEs), aiming key technological and industrial priorities to be maintained or developed in Europe.
- To present and promote business cooperation experiences: global value chains, intercluster and interregional cooperation.
- To facilitate networking and business to business meetings.
- To provide an informal environment for European Commission, National innovation and defence authorities, regional stakeholders and business sector regarding dual use.
- Highlight Andalusia's image as the right breeding ground for developing Dual-Use Technology Initiatives.
Organization of the International Event
Furthermore, other co-organisers are:
- DG REGIO, European Commission
- EDA, European Defence Agency
- EASME, Executive Agency for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises of the European Commision
- S3 Platform, through the Institute for Prospective Technological Studies (IPTS)
- Association of Regional Development Agencies, EURADA
- Aerópolis, Aerospace Technological Park of Andalusian
- CATEC, Center for Advanced Aerospace Technologies
- Enterprise Europe Network
The Advisory Committee
The organization of this International Conference is assisted by an Advisory Committee, composed by representatives of public and private institutions closely linked to Defence, Dual Use and Innovation issues:
- Andalusian Regional Ministry of Employment, Enterprise and Commerce
- Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness
- Spanish Ministry of Defence
- INTA, Spanish National Institute for Aerospace Technology, Spanish MoD
- Hélice Foundation, Andalusian Aerospace Cluster
- TEDAE, Spanish Association of Defense, Aeronautics, Security and Space Technology Companies
The International Conference on Dual Technologies in the framework of Research and Innovation Strategies for Smart Specialization (RIS3), has been designed to gather on a two-days event a large number of tractor companies, administrations, and supporting business and SMEs institutions in order to share business opportunities and development, to discuss common challenges and to propose courses of action.
This conference will be an excellent opportunity to participate in a forum that gather together key stakeholders involved in this issue. SIGN IN.